First and most importantly, we had the wonderful opportunity to bless Bentley. It was the most amazing day. Brade and I decided since she is our first and maybe our only we would have a HUGE celebration, and huge it was. It was just as we wanted. Most people that know me know that I don't do anything on a small scale, blessing day included. We invited over seventy five people and made sure Bentley had a day she will remember...yeah right. At least she will have pictures. Here are a few of the highlights.
THE BLESSING. My youngest brother, Christopher, blessed her. He did such an AMAZING job. He is so tender and so thoughtful and he poured his heart into his blessing. It was very emotional and very sweet. Bentley was a dream, no fussing, no crying.
THE DRESS. We all know when you have a little girl, the dress is a big deal. I hunted and hunted for the PERFECT dress. Another well known characteristic about me, I love to be different and unique. I found the dress to match just what I wanted. Something that was beautiful, unique and memorable and she looked absolutely beautiful.
THE PARTY. I did not want to exclude any of the people that have been so good to us and so supportive of our little girl. Brade and I have the most AMAZING family, both immediate and extended. Bentley is SO LOVED! This poor girl is overwhelmed with love. We invited our whole family and many, many friends that have been influential in our lives. I think we only had a few people that sent their regrets! Thank you everyone!
We are so excited to welcome Keesha Koger Roberts to our family.
Last Friday, my youngest brother, Christopher married his high school sweetheart in the Bountiful Temple! Keesha is one of those girls everyone family wants as a sister in law. We love her so much. She is the most thoughtful, fun, motherly, unselfish person! She makes Chris so happy and he the same to her. They are the most darling couple and their wedding was so nice. I am so happy for them! Welcome, KEEPIC!
Bentley was a flower girl!!
These last couple of weeks have been unbelievably busy planning and preparing for the Ogden Marathon. This year was the biggest year ever! We had over 5,500 racers and at least as many spectators. It makes me emotional just thinking about it. Over 600 people gave so much of their time volunteering to make this event a success. The last month for me have been mass pandemonium, but so worth it after yesterday. Last Monday, we did a live shot with Big Bhuda from FOX 13 news to promote the Marathon festivities. Other the 4:00 wake up call, it turned out to be a lot of fun!
The marathon was ELECTRIC! The energy and the excitement is so inspiring. It starts with 4:00 bus loading! It is so thrilling to enter into downtown Ogden early in the morning, pre sunrise. The streets are quiet and dark and the only thing you see for several city blocks are motor coaches waiting to be filled with anxious runners! WOW, Ogden is amazing. With the help of over twenty volunteers, we load FOUR THOUSAND runners in under thirty minutes. It works like a well oiled machine! Then...we wait. We all descend upon the finish line. The stage is set, the medals perfectly staged, water bottled chilled, and lines of volunteers waiting to remove timing chips. The gun goes off and the excitement builds. Only fifteen minutes later, the finish line chute is hopping with over six hundred 5K finishers! The finish line does not slow down for the next SIX HOURS! It is so exciting.
There was one moment when the finish line went completely silent, at least for me! I had an experience yesterday I will never forget as long as I live. Many of you may have read about Bart Kendrick, (<--click here)a mentally challenged Ogden native that participated in the marathon being pushed by a close friend, Manuel Cypers.
It was Bart's dream to participate and Manuel made it happen by pushing him thirteen miles in a wheelchair. Bart decided he wanted to cross the finish line on his own two feet, with the help of a walker. Ten feet before the finish, Manuel stopped running and lifted Bart out of the wheelchair. Bart stood up and grasped his walker, buried his head in his chest and began to sob. He then turned to me and asked me to help him finish. The crowd cheered louder than they have ever cheered, but to me, the world was silent. I walked slowly across the line with Bart, tears streaming down my face. Bart had done it!! I had the AMAZING opportunity to be there. It was the most inspiring and heart warming few moments. Bart tired a few feet after the line and then whispered to me. "I DID IT, take off my helmet!!" WOW.
It was Bart's dream to participate and Manuel made it happen by pushing him thirteen miles in a wheelchair. Bart decided he wanted to cross the finish line on his own two feet, with the help of a walker. Ten feet before the finish, Manuel stopped running and lifted Bart out of the wheelchair. Bart stood up and grasped his walker, buried his head in his chest and began to sob. He then turned to me and asked me to help him finish. The crowd cheered louder than they have ever cheered, but to me, the world was silent. I walked slowly across the line with Bart, tears streaming down my face. Bart had done it!! I had the AMAZING opportunity to be there. It was the most inspiring and heart warming few moments. Bart tired a few feet after the line and then whispered to me. "I DID IT, take off my helmet!!" WOW. All the hard work for that moment...well worth it!!
7 comments:
You don't know me, but I ran across your blog some how. I have to tell you what an inspiration you are to me. I enjoy reading your blog and all your thoughtful posts. I recently had a daughter as well so I like to see the milestones you watch with Bently (I also love her name). I am currently setting up my blog and will have to let you know what it is. I also would love to volunteer in your line of work. What a great inspiration you are to me, I can't imagine how many others.
Cynthia
Cynthiacphill@aol.com
Linds, you are awesome!! Bentley was very darling..., and what a party!! I wish I would have watched the news, I was there in Utah, I could have seen it.
WOW! You have been one busy girl! Bentley looks so beautiful in her blessing dress. I can't believe you were on Fox 13. I used to watch them all the time when I lived in Utah. So fun. You'll have to post the clip of you on your blog. Would love to see it.
Phil made me cry when I watch him finish and made me cry again when I read about it here. Awesome Job!!! Love ya, Dad
I loved seeing Bart finish too. You know that there were tears in my eyes - that is a given for both of us. You looked good w/ Buddah! I loved it, even though I was at work and happened to look up and there you were! Good work My Gizza!
The blessing pictures are so darling. I wish I would have looked at Bentley's dress when we were over last week. Next time we get together, you should bring some pics!
Linds. Wow that is amazing!!! All those stories. And what a party for Bent! Oh and the marathon, good work. Your a super star. :) P.S. You are lookin' like a hot mama, literally, these days. No pun intended.
Post a Comment